SAP BPC 10.0 vs 10.1 – Upgrade not a migration
BPC 10.1 was released in 2014. Is your company currently running SAP BPC version 10.0 and are you wondering whether you should upgrade to 10.1? We have looked into this subject and want to share the following findings:
Compared to the previous release, BPC 10.1 encompasses little changes.
- From a technical perspective the impact is little as the term ‘upgrade’ refers to the process of overwriting your existing software with a newer version of the software. It’s not a migration.
- A new user-interface based on HTML5 enabling iPad users to access the web functionality of SAP BPC and overall better support for mobile and touchscreen devices. Besides, languages that are written and read from right to left such as Hebrew and Arabic are supported.
- From a functional perspective changes are little. Main change is the introduction of an advanced consolidation monitor. Be aware; if you want to use this functionality a split in the Currency and Scope dimension must be available or introduced. Also little changes in the business process flows and work status are made.
- Introduction of two product variations in the SAP NetWeaver version, namely Standard and Embedded (for more information see article SAP BPC different flavors; what are the differences?)
- The Standard configuration is based on the paradigm of the previous release, BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation 10.0. There are no major changes in most of the modules.
- The Embedded configuration is deeply integrated with SAP Business Warehouse Planning Applications Kit. By using the BW Planning Applications Kit you can perform SAP HANA-Optimized planning.
Migration paths from a BPC perspective *)
*) Migration path from a BPC perspective. For the migration from 10.1 Standard to 10.1 Standard HANA a lot of work must be performed on the BW architecture.
In the section below an elaboration on the changes per version is included.
SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation 10.1 Version for SAP NetWeaver
Complete feature support on both Standard and Embedded model
- Consolidation capabilities with Embedded model
- Local administration to offer greater line-of-business flexibility
- Real-time data access
- Financial planning Embedded into SAP S/4HANA, allowing live integration to business transactions
- Enhancements to business process flows and work status
Lower cost of ownership
- Pre-delivered financial planning content with SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation optimized for SAP S/4HANA
- Deploy with the SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud service with subscription pricing
to get up and running faster with lower up-front costs
SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation, optimized for SAP S/4HANA
- Financial planning capabilities provided by SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation integrated into SAP S/4HANA
- Support for real-time actual-to-plan reporting and variance analysis
- Deployable on a single system
- Access in real-time to master data and actuals (universal journal) from SAP S/4HANA
- Data replication for purposes of planning no longer required
- Single solution supporting the end-to-end planning and reporting process
- Integrated planning across the finance functions – planning in one area automatically updates plan values within other areas (eliminates silos)
- Delivered content designed to accelerate implementation
SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation 10.1 Version for the Microsoft platform
- Increased usability
- New HTML5 UI supporting easier navigation and cross-platform readiness
- New Web report and input form capabilities are now available
- Advanced consolidation monitor
- Enhanced support for automated variance analysis
- Bidirectional integration with SAP BusinessObjects Cloud for Planning
- Support for Chrome and Windows 10
It is wise to be in line with the latest releases to incorporate for example the latest bug fixes, to avoid major upgrades, or the risk that a version is no longer compatible. E.g. Microsoft Office version is no longer supported by SAP.
It should be taken into account that an BPC NetWeaver upgrade might have an impact on the BW architecture. A compatibility check can be done with the SAP Product Availability Matrix (PAM) which is available in the SAP Support Site.
Compared to the previous release, BPC 10.1 encompasses only little functional and technical changes. The upgrade from 10.0 to 10.1 is relatively small and therefore doesn’t come with major investments. Therefore, it is worth to consider if the upgrade is beneficial for your organization.
Disclaimer: this article is based upon the information and releases available today. Software develops rapidly and new updates and release will be expected in the (near) future with without a doubt will lead to new functionalities and opportunities and outdated the information in this article.